Revised --- Back in Toronto: April 26, 2010
Back in Sudbury: April 29, 2010

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Poland with Jan!

Jan and I had a FANTASTIC time in Poland. I think it surpassed all of our expectations. Jan had to fly back home a couple days ago and I'm back with Colin, typing this message from Budapest, Hungary.

I'll try to summarize Jan and I's trip through Poland below:
  • Polish people are extremely nice. For example, while waiting for a bus outside of Bialowieza National Park, a nice young man came up and kissed Jan's hand and rubbed my leg.
  • Polish people are very trusting. In the National Park, things are very spaced out and we needed a way to get to the animal reserve. The only option was a horse buggy driver. This is not some fancy ride, this was an old-fashioned horse buggy. A few minutes into the 45 minute commute, he told me to come up and drive. Since I had these 5 minutes of experience, on the way home, he stopped the buggy, got out and told me to hold the horses still. We had NO IDEA where he was going. About 10 mins later he came out with a pack of smokes. (This guy also couldn't speak English and we negotiated the horse buggy price with a stick and a muddy puddle)
  • Polish people like to give advice. On the train ride to Gdansk, a really large Polish lady started giving Janneke some birthing advice. This lady did not speak English either and made a lot of quite graffic motions with her hands around her uterus area. We have no idea what the advice was.
  • Both Jan and I fell in love with amber and made more purchases than expected.
  • While in Gdansk, we went to Hel. On the boat ride to Hel, we saw 2 nuns also going to Hel. We thought this was hilarious.
  • I went swimming in the Baltic Sea from Hel. Let me tell you that Hel is not warm but really, really cold.
  • Polish people love really bad cover songs.

Lots of those comments are obviously stereotypes, but we did think the people were wonderful. The scenery was surprisingly Canadian. We met several Scandanavians while in Poland who were also very nice. One Swede man reminded us of a vampire but everyone else was ok.

Alright, so check out the pictures, they tell some great stories as well. Colin and I are off to Istanbul tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment